Friday, May 14, 2010

Why can't I wear nail varnish during an operation?

I am having my tonsils removed on Wednesday I am also having a general anesthetic, and I have been told to remove all nailvarnish form finger and toe nails.. I am also not alloud to wear make-up...





I can understand that because they are working near my face that make-up is unhygenic.. but nail varnish??





Can anyone explain?Why can't I wear nail varnish during an operation?
The colour of your skin underneath the nails can provide the anaesthetist with a good indication of your circulation and oxygenation of the blood. He/she is keeping you alive whilst under a G/A and needs all the help they can get.Why can't I wear nail varnish during an operation?
as they put monitoring devices on your finger and toe which records heart rate and oxygen levels. if you have nail polish on the sensors cant work properly.
By observing the nails they can tell if you are getting enough oxygen. Which I think is enough reason not to wear it don't you ?

No comments:

Post a Comment